- Start with the bed. It's the focus point of the room and the easiest way to update your space. More pillows! A new duvet cover! Throw in some swanky sheets and you're pretty much done.
- If you're looking for something a little fancier, what about a mosquito net? It's the easiest way to make your room look fancy without making much effort.
- Can't afford a whole new duvet set? Invest in a jewel coloured throw. It'll last for years.
- Emma's room is purple, which is great for the sexy boudoir feel, but it can be a little cold. So, if you can't afford a chandelier, get yourself some pretty wall sconces. They'll brighten up the room and if you can find some with a golden glow, you'll keep your regal look as well as getting a nice light.
- Gold is a less obvious colour than the standard black and purple. Pick up little things that will add a bit of glam to the room without it being overkill. One pillow case, a picture frame. Just little things and they'll bring the whole room together.
- Buy some dramatic curtain tie-backs. For some reason, tie-backs make a room look very snazzy. They're cheaper than buying brand new curtains, but they look fab.
- Fancy something really unusual? If you're lucky enough to have wooden floorboards, go to town with some dark lacquer. Living Etc recently designed a room recently with hot pink furniture and black floors. Very sexy indeed. It's not for the faint-hearted, so a black rug or dark statement wall would be a good compromise. Turn things on their head.
Monday, 27 July 2009
I read a post on my friend Emma's blog last night about how to jazz up a bedroom on a budget. And it's not easy. But, there are ways you can make it look like you've spent a bit of cash, without really splurging. Emma was looking for a boudoir feeling in her room, and she's gone for a purple colour. So how best to get maximum impact on minimum spends?