This is a beautiful cake for summer - soft and moist, and better still gluten-free. The polenta adds crunch and texture, while the raspberries and honey give a sweet, floral hit.
If you can't eat nuts, substitute the same amount of flour for the ground almonds.
- 4 tbsp honey
- 170g raspberries, washed and patted dry
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g quick polenta
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder (check it's gluten free)
- 3 eggs
- 100ml milk
- Preheat the oven to 180c / Gas 4. Grease and line the base and sides of a 9 inch cake tin.
- Put the honey in a small saucepan and gently warm through until it becomes very runny. Take off the heat and add the raspberries, stirring to coat them in honey. Leave to one side.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until it's pale and soft.
- Mix in the almonds, polenta, salt and baking powder.
- Lightly beat together the eggs and milk in a separate bowl - just enough to combine them. Stir into the mixture - the batter will be quite soft and will drop nicely off a spoon.
- Spoon the mixture into the lined tin and press the raspberries into the top. Drizzle over the remaining honey.
- Bake for around 1hr 15 minutes or until a skewer poked into the centre comes out clean. Serve warm with a dollop of whipped cream.