Pasta Puttanesca, or Slut's Pasta as I like to call it, is a feisty, bold, slapper of a dish. The sauce is named after certain, er, "ladies of the night", and it involves gutsy ingredients - think anchovies, garlic, olives and chilli - in a rich tomato sauce. It doesn't make for sophisticated eating, but it's a great storecupboard standby that can be rustled up without too much effort. Just don't blame me if you find yourself cursing at people like a bawdy nightwalker after eating it...
Slut's Pasta (serves 2 sluts)
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped (or grated if you can't be arsed)
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 anchovy fillets
- A handful of black olives, pitted
- 1 tbsp capers
- 400ml tin of chopped tomatoes
- 150g pasta, I used fusilli as it has lots of ridges to hold the sauce
- Fresh basil, ripped up, to serve
- Heat a pan and add some olive oil. If you've bought anchovy fillets in oil, then use a bit of that.
- Add the garlic and chilli, cook gently for a few minutes.
- Add the anchovies, olives and capers. Fry for a few more minutes until the anchovies melt down to a paste.
- Add the tomatoes and leave the sauce to simmer.
- Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions.
- Drain the pasta, toss it in the sauce and scatter the basil over. I don't add salt or parmesan to this recipe as the anchovies are salty enough by themselves, but feel free to if you like.