This mousse is a sneaky favourite of mine. Not only is it fabulous in its vegan, egg-free, dairy-free goodness, but it gives me endless delight when I feed it to unsuspecting friends only to tell them halfway through a mouthful that it's actually made from avocado. Simple pleasures!
Fear not slut fans, you don't taste the avocado at all, it just gives body and creaminess. It's a trick I learned from "Green Chef" Violetta Cope, an expert in all things foodie and healthy. In summer I add juicy cherries and a generous splosh of kirsch, in winter it's all about the coffee.
Sneaky Mocha Mousse (makes 4 little ramekins or 2 huge ones)
- 50g dates
- 6 tbsp agave syrup, maple syrup or sweet freedom
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 50ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 2 ripe avocados
- 50g cocoa powder
- First soak the dates in some boiling water until nice and soft.
- Drain them and put them into a blender with the syrup, vanilla and coffee. Blitz until smooth.
- Halve the avocados, skin and remove the stone (this should be easy peasy if the avocados are nice and ripe). Add to the blender. Blitz some more.
- Add the cocoa powder and blitz until smooth and mousse-like. Taste and add more syrup if necessary.
- Spoon into ramekins or shot glasses and refrigerate until ready to serve.