Seriously, I would happily give up the turkey to make extra space for those yummy potatoes! If it wasn't for the fact that I don't think my arteries would ever forgive me I would eat them every day!
Dauphinoise Potatoes (serves 6 - 8)
You will need:
- 1kg waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
- 500ml double cream
- 150ml sour cream
- 200ml full fat milk
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- Fresh thyme
- Knob of butter
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 150C/300F/Gas Mark 2 and grease a 4 pint/2.5l ovenproof casserole dish using a knob of butter.
2. Cover bottom of dish with a layer of potatoes, season with salt, pepper and thyme to taste. Continue to layer and season until you have used all the potatoes.
3. Mix together the double cream, sour cream, milk and garlic and pour over the potatoes. the liquid should just cover them.
4. Place the potatoes in the oven and cook for one hour the turn the oven up to 200C/400F/Gas Mark 6 and cook for a further 45 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and leave to stand for about five minutes before serving.
Potato Dauphinoise image from methTICALman's flickr photostream.