I am currently slightly obsessed with Man V Food. My current ambition in life is, in fact, to retrace Adam's journey across the weird and wonderful eateries of America.
In a recent episode the eponymous 'Man' visited Voodoo Doughnuts in Portland which sold the most amazing array of doughnuts including their signature Voodoo Doll doughnut which allows you to have a tasty snack whilst inflicting misery and curses on your enemies at the same time. However it was their Bacon Maple Bar, a doughnut featuring maple frosting and a slice of bacon atop, that triggered a memory of a recipe I had seen on Shutterbean last year that I had been meaning to try. The peanut butter bacon cookie.
I am a big fan of both the peanut butter cookie and bacon independently so I was understandably intrigued to discover how this combination would work together. I am pleased to report that the resulting cookie was a perfect blend of sweet and salty nutty harmony.
Peanut Butter Bacon Cookies (Makes approx 24 cookies)
(adapted from Shutterbean)
You will need:
- 285g Peanut Butter (I used crunchy but use smooth if you prefer)
- 85g Caster Sugar
- 85g Demerara Sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 6 slices bacon
1. Fry your bacon until it is nice and crispy. Leave to cool on some kitchen roll and then dice.
2. Preheat your oven to 180 C/350 F/Gas Mark 4. Line your baking tray with some parchment paper.
3. Place the peanut butter and sugars in a bowl and beat together for a couple of minutes until well combined. You can do this in a mixer or by hand.
4. Add the egg and bicarbonate of soda and beat well for another couple of minutes.
5. Fold in the diced bacon.
6. Roll the mixture into walnut sized balls, place on the baking tray and flatten with a fork to make a criss cross on top. You can also roll the balls in caster sugar prior to flattening if you like. The cookies do spread when cooking so give them plenty of space.
7. Bake for ten minutes then remove from oven and allow to cool.
You are now in the enviable position to enjoy the unique taste sensation that is a peanut butter bacon cookie. Let me know what you think!