One of the reasons that I constantly bemoan having a small kitchen is because I simply don't have the space for all the fancy kitchen gadgets I would like to own. A case in point would be my long standing desire to own an ice cream maker. How I long to make my own ice cream, particularly as I live too far away from The Icecreamists to experience their very special brand of gelato mayhem.
So I was pretty delighted the other week upon discovering that I could whip up ice cream using nothing but a food processor and a frozen banana. Thank you James Martin, in your Saturday Kitchen, the Domestic Sluts salute you.
Super Simple Boozy Banana Ice Cream (makes about half a litre)
You will need:
- 4 large bananas, sliced and frozen
- 4 tbsp Spiced Rum
- Juice of half a Lime
- 2 tsp Vanilla Essence
Place all the ingredients in your food processor and blend until smooth and creamy. And you're done. It really is that simple. Serve in a bowl on its own or with the topping of your choice, maybe some chopped walnuts, dulche de leche or chocolate sauce. Be sure to let me know how you serve yours!
- Is is probably easiest to peel and slice your bananas prior to freezing, placing them well spaced on a lined baking tray. Once they are frozen you can move them into a resealable freezer bag and keep them in the freezer ready to use for up to three months.
- Alway try to use ripe bananas, otherwise your resulting ice cream may be slightly bitter. If that happens try adding a wee bit of icing sugar to sweeten.
- Feel free to omit the rum completely or replace it with your liquor of choice. Basically have a play around with whatever you fancy.
- If you think your ice cream is a bit soft just pop it in the freezer until it has firmed up to your liking.