Frances and I were lucky enough to spend last weekend at Bedruthan Steps baking bread with BakerTom. I'm not a bread baker. I'm far too impatient for it. I don't want to leave things to rise, I want to get making immediately.
But soda bread is different. Instead of letting things rise, it does all the magic for you and you just need to make the dough and then pop in the oven. You're not even meant to knead it. How fabulous.
You'll knead *snigger*:
- 500g plain flour
- 10g salt
- 10g sugar
- 10g baking powder
- 4g bicarbonate of soda
- 150g natural yoghurt
- 240g water
- poppy seeds for decoration (optional)
- Place all the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl and mix well
- Add your wet ingredients and bring together until it's all sticky
- Shape into rounds (1 for one loaf, or four if you're making rolls) and flatten onto a baking tray
- Cut a cross only your bread and decorate with poppy seeds if you're using them
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at gas mark five or 190 degrees until it's golden and sounds hollow when you tap the bottom.