Lemon ice is a Spanish dish and is a cross between ice-cream and sorbet. It doesn't have double cream but it does use milk and eggs. No need for an ice-cream maker though - just a freezable container and a whisk.
You will need:
- 1 egg, separated
- 150g sugar
- 225ml milk
- 2 lemons, zest and juice
- Separate the egg, putting the yolk in one bowl and the white in another. Whisk the yolk with the milk, then whisk in the sugar and lemon zest and juice.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff (warning: this will take a lot of arm work. Use a food processor or electric whisk if you have one).
- Gently fold the egg whites into the lemony mixture. Taste it to see if it needs more lemon or sugar. Pour into a shallow dish and freeze.
- After two hours, remove and whisk again. This stops ice crystals from forming.
- Refreeze until you want to eat it.