And braised red cabbage actually tastes good cold. Think of it as a coleslaw alternative with leftover roast chicken (that's what I did with it anyway). The flavours are rich, and if you've been suffering with the sunny day-ruining summer cold, it'll make you feel instantly better.
- 1 red cabbage
- 1 onion
- 2 green apples
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 whole nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon (or, if you cook like me, a shake of 'oh, that looks like it's enough')
- 3 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
- Couple of knobs of butter
- Preheat your oven to 150 degrees
- Remove the outer leaves from your cabbage, chop up and throw into a casserole dish (make sure it's one that you also have a lid to - where do those lids go?).
- Peel and dice your onion and throw that in there too.
- Peel and core your apples and chop into little pieces. Mix with the rest of the veg.
- Chop your garlic and grate your nutmeg. Add with the cinnamon and mix everything well.
- Pour on the white wine vinegar, and add the knobs of butter on top.
- Leave in the oven for 2 hours, stirring a couple of times while cooking and fill your house with amazing smells.