Some days just demand a sweet treat to start the day. On such days, my favorite alternative to pancakes is to whip up some super syrupy cinnamon French toast. Serve it with a dollop of stewed apple, a handful of berries, or if you are feeling particularly decadent then pile it up with a serving of crispy bacon. If you have never experienced the taste sensation that is bacon and maple syrup, then you should at least once, trust me.
This is very obviously a special occasion breakfast as it is quite literally dripping with calories, but some days just demand a syrupy start. It is also rather tasty for a tea time treat after a long, hard day when you really need something quick and comforting. I always use white bread, nothing fancy just the generic sliced stuff, as it absorbs the eggy mixture best.
Cinnamon-tactic French Toast
Makes 2 slices
You will need:
- 2 medium eggs
- 2 slices of sliced white bread
- Ground cinnamon to taste
1. Whisk the eggs with a slug of milk and a sprinkling of cinnamon to taste. Make sure to use a bowl that you can lay your bread in flat.
2. Place your bread into the egg mixture for a few minutes, turning once, allowing it to absorb plenty of the egg mixture.
3. Heat a small amount of oil, or butter if you are feeling crazy decadent, over a medium heat and fry the egg soaked bread until it is golden brown.
4. Serve the french toast immediately, with lashings of maple syrup and a sprinkling of ground cinnamon.