I like to cut mine into squares and put each one in a cupcake case. It means if I'm eating one for elevenses while typing away I don't end up with syrupy crumbs in my keyboard. Of course you might be much more civilised than me and eat off a plate, in which case there's no need.
For the cake
- 170g unsalted butter
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g self-raising flour, sieved
- 2 medium eggs
- Splash of milk
- Zest of 2 oranges
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4tsp ground cloves
- Pinch of salt
For the glaze
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 80g icing sugar, sieved
- Preheat the oven to 170c / Gas 3.
- Grease and line an 8 x 8 inch square tin or a 6 inch round tin.
- Put all the cake ingredients in a bowl and mix until combined.
- Put the batter in the tin and bake for about 40 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, put the glaze ingredients into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Set aside.
- As soon as the cake is cooked through, bring it out of the oven, prick the top all over with a fork and pour over the glaze.
- Leave to cool in the tin.