Now, obviously with he winter approaching with some fervour, it's not really milkshake weather. However, we decided that anything they can do, we can do better! We toyed with how to spice up something that the kids (and I) love - hot chocolate. After a rather disastrous attempt to add a slice of cherry pie to hot chocolate (one word - grim); we stumbled upon the rather genius idea of blending a single, plain glazed Krispy Kreme doughnut into the mix. Pretty good. But, we really pushed the boat out when we added a cookies and cream doughnut.
By adding a cake product the the hot chocolate you give it a new dimension -- a smooth, velvety but thick texture that's seriously moreish. The flavour of the doughnut runs right through the drink, adding something pretty special.
Go on, have a go!
You'll need (serves two):
- Eight heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 500ml whole milk
- 50ml double cream
- One Krispy Kreme cookies and cream doughnut
- Small pinch of salt
- A sprinkle of cinnamon
- Heat the milk slowly over a medium heat.
- Add the cream and cocoa powder and stir well.
- Once the milk is warmed through (try not to let it quite boil), remove from the heat and pour into a blender.
- Cut up the doughnut and add to the blender along with a teeny pinch of salt and a sprinkling of cinnamon.
- Blend well until the cake has completely mixed with the milk.
- Serve immediately topped with cream or marshmallows.