Add your favourite mulling spices to this. You may also want to stir some honey to sweeten it, although cranberry juice is usually plenty sweet enough.
You will need:
- 1 small orange
- Handful of cloves
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- 1l carton of cranberry juice
- 1l carton of apple juice
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods, gently crushed
- Stud the orange with roughly 20 cloves. Peel the rind off the lemon in long strips.
- Pour the cranberry and apple juice into a large saucepan and throw everything else in, including the orange and lemon. Heat very gently until it's hot, but not boiling.
- Take it off the heat and serve in small glasses. The orange and lemon peel will be good for several rounds, so simply add more of the other ingredients when you inevitably need to top everyone up.