If you're one of those people who really struggles with mornings, weigh out the ingredients and separate the eggs the night before, then leave in the fridge ready for the morning. And make yourself a big cup of coffee before you start.
honeymoon pancakes. And while you can make these any size you like, I have learned from bitter experience that smaller ones are much easier to flip.
Blueberries are best friends with lemons, but if you're feeling really naughty you could switch the lemon zest for white chocolate chips.
Lemony Blueberry Pancakes
- Butter or oil for frying
- 3 eggs
- 100g plain flour
- 1tsp baking powder
- 140ml milk
- Zest of a lemon
- 1 small punnet of blueberries
- Maple syrup, to drizzle over
- Separate the eggs, with the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
- Whisk the whites to stiff peaks (so they don't come out of the bowl if you hold it over your head).
- Mix the flour, baking powder, milk and lemon zest into the yolks.
- Gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture.
- Heat a little bit of oil or butter in a frying pan on a medium heat.
- Put a dollop of batter into the pan, and scatter over a handful of blueberries.
- Fry for a few minutes. Take a peek at the bottom - it will be golden brown when it's ready.
- Flip it over and cook until the other side is golden.
- Put the cooked pancake in a warm place while you make the next one.
- Stack 'em high and douse with maple syrup.