They'll be very soft when they come out of the oven, but will firm up as you leave them to cool (if you can).
Pignoli (makes around 20)
- 340g ground almonds
- 300g icing sugar
- 4 egg whites
- A handful of pine nuts
- Preheat the oven to 170c / gas 3.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Gently mix in the icing sugar and the ground almonds.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment. It's a good idea to brush it with some oil or melted butter as the pignoli are quite sticky.
- Put teaspoonfuls of mixture onto the sheet. Space them well apart as they will puff up when cooked.
- Sprinkle each one with a few pine nuts.
- Bake for around 15 minutes until golden brown.