And so, my bacon obsession continues. As I consider bacon to be one of my five-a-day it is safe to say that I love bacon. I have garnered a small reputation with my bacon brownies, and have spent many hours discussing my love of bacon to anyone who will listen. So when a twitter friend suggested candied bacon to me, I immediately set upon making it for myself. Within a few hours I was sat in the kitchen eating a bowl of vanilla ice cream with candied bacon sprinkled on top.
Candied Bacon tastes like a gloriously sweet and crunchy bag of Frazzles. Those were my favourite crisps growing up, unsurprisingly for those that know me. The sweetness cuts through the smoky savoury flavour and marries perfectly well with vanilla ice cream. I actually found it rather more-ish.
Candied Bacon (Serves 2)
- 4 rashers of Streaky Bacon
- 2 tbsp Light Brown Sugar
- ½ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Chilli Powder
- 4 tbsp Maple Syrup
- Preheat the oven to 180C as you prepare the bacon.
- Combine the sugar and spices in a shallow bowl and press the bacon into the mixture on both sides.
- Place the bacon on a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and using a baking brush coat one side of bacon with the maple syrup. Return to the oven for another 5 minutes before turning the bacon and coating with more maple syrup. Place back in the oven for another 5 minutes.
- Place the crispy bacon on a small dish and refrigerate to harden. At least an hour will suffice.
- Crumble into pieces and sprinkle over a bowl of vanilla ice cream.