On my continuing mission to explore news ways in which to enjoy bacon I stumbled across this idea for Breakfast Cups. It is essentially a bacon and egg sandwich but baked and cute-looking. I imagine this dish would probably be popular with the kids, but big kids like me will also marvel at their delicious miniature form.
Breakfast Cups (makes 6)
You will need:
- 40g Butter, melted
- 6-8 Slices of Bread
- 6 Rashers of Bacon
- 6 Large Eggs
- Salt and Pepper to season
- First you need to preheat the oven to 190C and lightly butter your muffin tin with some melted butter.
- Next, fry your bacon in a frying pan until nicely crispy but with a bit of bend to it. Set aside to slightly cool.
- Take a rolling pin and flatten the bread, then use a cookie cutter to make six rounds. Press these into the muffin tray and then use thin strips of bread around the edges to cover any gaps. Brush the inside of the bread cups with more melted butter.
- Slice the bacon rashers length-ways and pop into the bread cups. Make sure they press them in as much as you can without breaking the bread.
- Crack an egg into each cup and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the egg white has set.
- Remove from oven and use a knife to gently loosen the breakfast cup.
- Serve with a big satisfied grin.