I'm not advocating drinking in the mornings, but there are certain times that simply necessitate it. Birthdays, crippling hangovers that morning TV and a cup of tea don't cure and an early lunch with the in-laws are all acceptable reasons for morning lubrication. That said, even I know drinking pre-noon on an empty stomach is a bit of a reckless move and one must tread carefully. This cocktail is the perfect solution, a Breakfast Martini… a delicious citrus sharpener with a side of well done toast.
A little like a 1920s Marmalade Cocktail, I 'borrowed' the garnish idea from when I had it at London's Paramount Bar. Between the smell of the toast, and the punch of the marmalade flavour it's a totally respectable replacement for your usual bowl of cornflakes, and I'm sure it could even count as one of your five-a-day.
- 50ml gin
- 12ml (1/2 a shot) Cointreau
- 12ml (1/2 a shot) lemon juice
- 1tsp (generous) of good quality marmalade
- Add all the ingridients to a shaker
- Stir until the marmalade has fully dissolved
- Add some ice to the shaker and shake for 10-15 seconds
- Strain into a coupe glass
- Garnish with a small piece of well-done (almost burnt) toast