- 30g butter
- 200g mushrooms (I used a mix of wild mushrooms, they were cheap in Asda)
- 100g smoked bacon lardons
- 30g flour
- 200ml milk
- 150g Wensleydale cheese
- Cracked black pepper
- Fry the mushrooms and lardons in the butter until they're cooked. Stop eating them.
- No, seriously, stop.
- Add the flour and stir until it's all cooked through (if it's not, your sauce will split).
- Pour in the milk and mix in, cooking until it comes to a simmer.
- Stir in about two thirds of the cheese and cook on a low heat until it's all come together in a yummy gooey sauce, then add the black pepper.
- Pop the grill on and transfer your mixture into ramekins, or an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the rest of the cheese and grill until it's golden and bubbling. (You could always bake the dish if you prefer - my grill is feisty.)
- Serve with toasty brown bread.
Flickr image from Annie Mole's photostream.