As I attempted to explain to my semi-conscious taxi-buddy, mixing cognac and Chambord should essentially be the preserve of the cough-mixture industry but the picture I saw in my twitter stream said otherwise. Plump berries sat in a sugary bath of brandy and black raspberry liqueur etched a deep enough mark in my memory to guarantee I made it the next day. The drink came from @burgeracblog's visit to a bar in the Cotswolds and apparently they decided to call it a Sidecar. Its definitely no sidecar but with its origins in the countryside, the name seemed quite fitting.
- 50ml Cognac (brandy will do just fine)
- 25ml Chambord (Cassis, or creme de mure will work equally well)
- 25ml Lime juice
- Add the brandy, Chambord and lime to a shaker
- Drop a handfull of blackberries in with them and muddle with a rolling pin
- Add a handful of ice cubes
- Shake for 10-15 seconds
- Strain into a coupe or cocktail glass
- Garnish with a cocktail stick full of blackberries.