To be honest, I couldn't care less about the ice cream. I just want all of the caramelised pecans. If you're lucky enough to share my ice cream, I'll fight you for the good bits. There's a tub in the freezer that's half full, but totally bereft of tasty pecans.
So I decided to make my own.
There are a few methods you can follow - if you have a sugar thermometer, you can simply make your own caramel. Or you can make a syrup and bake in the oven. Both great options, but I'm trying a simpler method as seen on the BBC Good Food. Booze and icing sugar and a bit of stirring. What's not great about that?
- 100g of pecans
- 140g icing sugar
- 50ml brandy
- 2 drops orange blossom water (optional, but I used really shit brandy)
- Mix everything together in a pan over a medium heat, stirring constantly (if you stop stirring or your pan is too hot, you'll end up with a massive burnt mess of goo).
- They're done when you can't stir easily, but not totally dry
- Spread out your nuts onto a sheet of greaseproof paper and wait for them to cool. You can break them up once they're cool.
- Put them on ice cream, in muffins or just shove them all into your face.
Tip: If you do cook your pan dry (it's easily done, you can make up a smaller amount of caramel with the same ingredients again - you'll have some excess sauce, but as long as you don't burn the mixture, your nuts can be resecued.