This weekend, I made chilli bacon biscuits.
These are incredibly easy to make. The method is essentially "mix all the things in a bowl, shape them into biscuits, bake." We've made bacon biscuits before but they've been flavoured with maple and peanut butter and I don't hold with mixing sweet and savoury. I don't hold with bacon either, what with being vegetarian, but I'm a Vegetarian Who's Ok With Being Around Meat (a V-WOW!BAM! for short). These taste flipping awesome, so I'm told.
Chilli bacon biscuits (makes about 30)
You will need:
- 150g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 150g grated cheese
- 1 tsp ground chilli
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 150g plain flour
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 rashers of bacon, fried or grilled
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Chop the butter into small pieces and mix it in a bowl with the cheese, chilli, salt, pepper and paprika. Use a fork, it'll all get clogged up in a whisk. There's no point getting your food processor out, this all mixes together easily.
- Tip in the flour (no need to sift) and the water, and mix into a soft dough. Chop the cooked bacon into tiny pieces and mix it in too.
- Spoon the mixture onto a sheet of baking paper and roll it into a cylinder about 4cm thick. Pop it in the freezer for 10 minutes to firm up.
- When you're ready to bake it, unroll it and cut into slices about 1cm thick. Arrange them on a tray lined with baking paper (reuse the paper you wrapped them up in) and bake for 20-25 minutes until firm around the edges and golden-brown.