Make your own breadcrumbs by blitzing stale or lightly toasted bread in a food processor or chopping it into tiny bits. Or just buy a packet. You've got enough to do on Christmas Day without making breadcrumbs, for heaven's sake.
Spicy Stuffing Balls (makes 12)
You will need:
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 fresh chilli, finely chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Small handful of fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 50g breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- Heat a little oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the cumin and mustard seeds and fry for around 20 seconds, until they pop.
- Throw in the chilli and onion and fry for a few minutes, until the onion softens. Stir in the garam masala and turmeric, then set aside to cool.
- Once it's cooled down, mix it with the coriander, lemon juice and breadcrumbs. Add as much of the beaten egg as you need to bind it. Season with salt and pepper, divide into 12 balls and drizzle with oil.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 220C/425F/gas mark 7.