Huevos rancheros is eggs cooked in fresh, light salsa, which you can make as spicy as you like. You end up with a delicious and satisfying start to your day. Not bad for ten minutes work.
Huevos Rancheros (for 2)
You will need:
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 chilli, chopped
- 1 small courgette, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp oregano
- Small tin of chopped tomatoes or passata
- 4 eggs
- Small handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- Make the salsa by mixing the onion, pepper, chilli, courgette, garlic, oregano and tomatoes in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Heat some oil in a medium-sized frying pan and tip the salsa in. Heat it through for a few minutes, then make two spaces in it. Add a tiny drop of oil to each, then carefully crack one egg into each gap.
- Pop the lid on and cook over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes, until the eggs are cooked.
- Sprinkle some coriander over the top and serve with some chunky bread.