I've been known to demolish an entire jar of peanut butter in one sitting using nothing but a stick of celery as a spoon. I can't get enough of the crunchy good stuff and that's why it's mostly banned from my kitchen, until now.
This recipe actually started out being for regular truffles but I got impatient and tried one whilst it was still frozen and accidentally made the BEST ICE CREAM BALLS EVER. I love happy cooking accidents, it's actual scientific fact (probably) that most genius recipes are created when either really drunk (these usually involve random booze concoctions/sandwich combos/takeaway food + unlikely cupboard ingredient) or by not paying attention to a recipe and ending up with something far far better.
What's your awesome culinary accident?
Peanut Butter Ice Cream Truffle Balls (makes about 16 balls)
- 200g cream cheese
- 50g icing sugar
- 200g crunchy peanut butter
- 200g dark chocolate
- chopped nuts to sprinkle (optional)
- Put your cream cheese and icing sugar in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until smooth then beat in your peanut butter (try not to do as I did and eat most of the mixture at this stage).
- Spoon your mixture into a bowl and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes just to firm up enough to be able to roll into balls. Once firm-ish roll into balls and place them on a sheet of greaseproof paper.
- Put the balls into the freezer for a a couple of hours.
- Melt the chocolate then using 2 forks roll each ball in the melted chocolate and put on greaseproof paper to set. and sprinkle with the chopped nuts if you're using them. At this point you can just leave them at room temperature to become fabulous peanut butter truffles OR pop them back in the freezer to make the most brilliantly easy ice cream balls! Just take them out of the freezer about 10 minutes before serving so they just soften a tiny bit.