This time, I'm using it for pizza twists. These are basically incredibly easy cheese straws that I've pepped up with some sun-dried tomato paste, herbs and spices. Use tomato purée if you can't find the sun-dried stuff, and throw in whichever extra flavours you like. Any hard cheese is fine - I used a strong cheddar. Spread your toppings evenly otherwise they'll tumble out all over the tray when you try to make the twists.
Pizza Twists (makes 12)
You will need:
- 500g block of puff pastry
- 1 tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 80g cheese, grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Milk to glaze
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas mark 6. Line a tray with baking paper.
- Roll out the puff pastry on a floured surface til it forms a rectangle around 3mm thick.
- Spread the sun-dried tomato paste over half of it, then evenly sprinkle over the cheese, paprika and oregano. Fold the other half of the puff pastry over and press down. Gently roll it to help it stick.
- Cut 1cm strips and twist them from both ends to form spirals. Lay these on your tray, then brush with milk and sprinkle with sesame seeds if you're using them.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until golden-brown and puffy. Leave to cool on a wire rack. They're delicious while slightly warm but also, like real pizza, just as good cold over the next few days.