I decided to give them a bit of a grown up incarnation by adding booze. I'm a huge fan of rum but you could use brandy, Cointreau, whisky, amaretto, whatever takes your fancy. The secrets of a good crispy cake are not to skimp on the chocolate and not to use cooking chocolate, (yuk). Also it's really important to add the raisins after the rice otherwise your chocolate will shock and go all horrid in texture.
You'll need: (makes about 12)
- 75g raisins
- 50 ml golden rum
- 300g Dairy Milk chocolate
- 40g unsalted butter
- small pinch sea salt flakes
- 150g rice crispies
- Soak the raisins overnight in the rum then drain (and drink the remaining rum as a cook's perk).
- Melt your chocolate and stir in the butter and salt until everything is melted and mixed well.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the rice crispies then the raisins and spoon into paper cases and leave to set and cool. I've decorated mine with a few white chocolate covered crispies that I already had in the cupboard but you could also melt a bit more chocolate and pour over the top of each cake.