Have you left it too late to order a Mother's Day present from our great selection of gift ideas? Don't panic, we're here to help! Nothing says "I love you, mum," like home baking. Amaretti biscuits are very simple to make and are a lovely gift. Oh, and they're gluten free.
- 1 tbsp white rice flour
- 1 tbsp cornflour
- 100g ground almonds
- 140g caster sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas mark 4.
- Sift the rice flour and cornflour into a bowl and add half of the sugar and all of the ground almonds. Mix well to make sure it's all combined.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks, then add the rest of the sugar and continue whisking until they form stiff peaks.
- Add half of the almond mixture and gently fold into the egg whites with a metal or silicone spoon (do not use a wooden spoon) until completely incorporated. Add the rest and fold in as before.
- Spoon the mixture into a piping bag and pipe 50p-sized blobs on to a baking sheet lined with baking paper, don't cram them on because they'll spread as they bake.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the biscuits are lightly golden. Dust with the icing sugar and leave on the tray for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
If you do give them to your mum on Sunday, try wrapping them in little squares of baking paper to present them.