When it comes to hangovers you need a nice kick of chilli to get you started and shake off those memories of dancing on the table to Blurred Lines (I can't help myself) and something nice and simple is always a bonus. The fact that this also has a hit of booze in so constitutes an edible hair of the dog also helps greatly.
I used a couple of handfuls of mixed fresh mushrooms that included porcini, oyster, chestnut and enoki but this works equally well with just regular field mushrooms. I like a smoky hit so opted for dried chipotle chilli but again just regular dried chilli flakes work a treat and swap out the chives for parsley if you prefer.
Devilled Mushrooms (serves 1)
You will need:
- big knob of butter (about 30g)
- 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced
- big pinch of dried chipotle chilli flakes (less if you don't want it too fiery)
- 2 handfuls fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 25ml brandy
- 60ml single cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- a few fresh chives, chopped
- Gently fry the garlic in the butter to soften then add the chilli and mushrooms and cook gently for about 4 minutes until the mushrooms have given out their liquid and are starting to take it back in again.
- Add the brandy CAREFULLY, it may flame, and cook for a further minute before adding the cream, season and cook, stirring constantly until everything is nice and hot, then serve over some nice hot buttered sourdough toast with your herbs sprinkled on top.