*Drum roll* We give you the answer! Tiramisu CAKE. Morning, noon and night, there is now no excuse.
For the cake:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 175g butter, very soft (but not melted)
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs, beaten
- 1 vanilla pod, seeds scraped out or 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp strong coffee
For the filling and topping:
- 2 tbsp strong coffee
- 5 tbsp brandy (or amaretto, if you prefer)
- 250g mascarpone
- 1 heaped tbsp icing sugar
- A couple of squares of good quality dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder (to decorate)
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas Mark 3.
- Grease and line the bottoms of two 20cm cake tins.
- Place the flour and baking powder in a sieve and sift together into a large mixing bowl, holding it high up to get lots of air in.
- Add the remaining ingredients and either whisk with an electric whisk for around 1 minute, or beat together until completely combined and the mixture falls off the spoon when tapped against the bowl. Add a little more coffee / water if it's too stiff.
- Spoon into the cake tins and bake for 30-35 minutes, until risen and golden and the sponge springs back when pressed.
- Leave to cool in the tins for a minute or two, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
- Whilst the cakes are still just warm, turn them over and drizzle the undersides alternately with the coffee and 4 tbsp of the brandy.
- Place the mascarpone in a bowl, along with the icing sugar and remaining 1 tbsp brandy and beat together.
- When the cakes are cool, smooth half the mascarpone over the bottom cake.
- Finely grate the dark chocolate over the mascarpone, then sandwich the other cake on top.
- Smooth mascarpone over the top layer.
- When you're ready to serve the cake, dust the top liberally with cocoa powder and stand back, to survey your masterpiece.