The only special ingredient you might need to buy is a jar of Cajun or Creole seasoning. I found some in Sainsbury's so you shouldn't have to trek too far for some. It adds a spicy, smoky, slightly dirty (in a good way) flavour. You can always make your own with smoked paprika, chilli powder, pepper, oregano and ground coriander.
Veggie Jambalaya (serves 2)
You will need:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 2 veggie sausages, sliced into 1cm thick rounds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cajun/Creole seasoning
- 160g long grain rice
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- Heat some oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Fry the onion, pepper, courgette and garlic until the vegetables are starting to soften - around 6-7 minutes.
- Add the veggie sausages and leave them to brown for a couple of minutes, then sprinkle over the paprika and cajun seasoning. Stir briefly and marvel at how good those spices are.
- Add the rice and vegetable stock, then the chopped tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Simmer for 30-35 minutes until the rice is tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.