This little gem came about courtesy of a trip to the newly reopened and always wonderful Polpetto, a cute little bàcaro tucked away in London's Soho. The only problem was the issue of rhubarb being a little late in season and me feeling particularly lazy and cunning in my approach to recreating their delicious cocktail.
My solution was in syrup-canned rhubarb. Tinned anything doesn't instantly evoke sexy-valentine's shenanigans, however, it's a romantic holiday (believe me you have better things to do than simmering perversely phallic fruit in sugary water) and you can always turn the rest into any number of amazing things. Add a dash of sugar syrup (or a tiny squeeze of agave/runny honey) to compensate for the weak nature of the rhubarb syrup and serve, let's just keep the whole 'tinned' thing to ourselves.
- 75ml of the syrup from a tin of rhubarb-in-syrup
- A dash of rose essence
- A dash of sugar syrup/runny honey/agave
- Strain the can into a measuring jug.
- Add 75ml of the syrup to a champagne glass or tumbler.
- Add 5ml of Rose essence to the glass.
- Add a dash of the sugar syrup/runny honey/agave.
- Stir thoroughly until mixed.
- Top up with prosecco.