We bloody love popcorn here at DSHQ. It's the perfect foil for all kinds of flavours, be they chilli and lemon, or everyone's favourite, salted caramel. But what if butter is off the menu? Well don't worry, we're here with a non-dairy, non-refined sugar version (using agave nectar and muscovado) to save the day.
YOU CAN THANK US LATER. Seriously; when you've made this popcorn once, you'll never go back to the ordinary stuff again. It's perfect for long, dark nights curled up on the sofa. (Or smuggled in bags and pockets to the cinema). The only problem you'll have on your hands is how to stop eating it.
Dairy Free Salted Caramel Popcorn (makes plenty for two)
You will need:
- 100g popcorn kernels
- 1 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp agave nectar
- 1 tbsp muscovado sugar
- Good pinch coarse sea salt crystals
- Heat the vegetable or sunflower oil in a large pan (with a lid that fits - you'll need that). Drop in a kernel to test. Once that pops, you can add the rest. Toss well in the oil to coat.
- Set over a medium-high heat, stirring or tossing occasionally so that the kernels do not burn.
- Continue until all the corn has popped like mad and slowed down again.
- In a separate pan, heat the coconut oil, agave and sugar, stirring until melted together.
- Pour over the popcorn, tossing well so that all the pieces are coated.
- Whilst still warm, scatter over a large pinch of sea salt crystals.
- DEVOUR on the sofa and swear never to eat the crap cinema stuff again.