Inspiration struck around 2am as a coke can came (somewhat) into focus and the outcome is a drink that has now appointed itself to my fortnightly cocktail rotation like it always belonged there. With a little work, the ‘secret syrup’ (aka cola reduction) can be easily achieved. Add that that to some bourbon and kirsch and you have a deceptively complex cocktail.
- 50ml Bourbon/Rye
- 50ml Secret Syrup
- 25ml Kirsch
- 10ml or a hefty squeeze of lime juice
- A can of coke
- Add the can of cola to a small saucepan.
- Bring the coke to a simmer.
- Simmer until the liquid has reduced by half.
- Leave to cool then, decant to a small bottle.
- Add the bourbon, syrup, kirsch and lime to a cocktail shaker.
- Dry shake for a couple of seconds.
- Add ice to the shaker.
- Shake again for 10 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled glass.
- Garnish with a cherry.