Is there anything in this world more refreshing than pink lemonade? Picture it: a hot day, and a long cool glass of fruity, zesty wonder, fragrant with raspberries and sharp with lemon. As with everything delicious in this world, if it's not already a cake, we'll darn well MAKE it into a cake. Delicate pink raspberry sponge and a sharp, sweet topping that's perfect for a long, lazy weekend. Try and use traditional, cloudy lemonade, fresh if you can get it. It's so much more summery.
Pink Lemonade Cake
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 40-45 minutes
You will need:
For the cake:
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g caster sugar
- 3 free range eggs
- 1/2 tsp pink food colouring
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp traditional (fresh) lemonade
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 100g raspberries
For the syrup and topping:
- 125ml traditional lemonade
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 150g cream cheese
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
- A few drops pink food colouring
- Raspberries, to decorate
- Lemon zest, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C /350F / Gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm cake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, along with a tablespoon of the flour and beat well. Repeat with rest of the eggs, beating well in between.
- Add the pink food colouring in drops, stirring in and adding more until it has reached the desired colour.
- Add the rest of the flour in thirds, folding in lightly in between until it is just incorporated and no streaks are showing.
- Gently stir in the lemonade, lemon zest and raspberries.
- Dollop into the tin, smooth over the top and bake for around 45 minutes, until risen and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the lemonade and caster sugar in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer and reduce over a medium heat until the consistency thickens slightly.
- When the cake has cooled slightly, prick holes in it with a skewer and spoon over half the syrup so that it soaks in.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese, icing sugar and remaining lemonade syrup. Scoop out half of it into another bowl and add the food colouring.
- Place both colours into a piping bag and pipe onto the cake, or spread alternately using a pallet knife.
- Decorate with the remaining raspberries and a little lemon zest.