Cardamom Coffee Cupcakes (makes 14-16, depending on cake cases)
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Baking time: 20-25 minutes
You will need:
For the cakes:
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g golden caster sugar
- 3 free-range eggs
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1 tsp orange blossom water (optional)
- 10 cardamom pods
- 50g white chocolate, finely chopped
- Splash of milk
- 175g butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 heaped tsp instant coffee / espresso powder
- 50g white chocolate, finely grated
- Sprinkling ground coffee, to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Lightly grease the paper cupcake cases and place in a cupcake tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat the eggs in one at a time, with a tablespoon of the flour to stop the mixture from splitting.
- Add the orange blossom water, if using and stir in.
- Place the cardamom pods in a pestle and mortar and bash until the seeds come out of the husks. Discard the husks then pound the seeds into a powder (or use a spice grinder for this).
- Stir into the cake mix, along with the white chocolate and the splash of milk.
- Sift the rest of flour into the mixture gradually, folding in gently with a metal spoon.
- Dollop into the paper cases, filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and risen and a skewer comes out clean.
- Place on a wire rack to cool.
- Place the butter in a large bowl and sift in the icing sugar.
- Beat together until combined and fluffy.
- Dilute the coffee powder with about 50ml hot water to make very strong coffee: stir in to taste, 2 tbsps should do it.
- Cut a little inverted cone in the top of the cakes. Pipe onto the cakes or frost with a palette knife.
- Sprinkle with grated white chocolate and a tiny pinch of ground coffee.